Join a local or statewide coalition to help prevent youth substance use
Talking early and often to your child about the risks associated with using alcohol and drugs is one of the most effective ways to help keep them substance-free. In Idaho, prevention groups lend additional support on this issue, as they work to prevent substance use and misuse among youth on a community or statewide level.
These prevention groups often consist of a mix of parents, law enforcement, schools, hospitals, and other civic-minded individuals who work to create healthy communities and strong futures for local youth. Some coalitions in Idaho are nonprofit organizations; others are solely volunteer-driven.
While their missions may vary, Idaho prevention groups offer a range of activities that empower youth to live happy, substance-free lifestyles. Some examples include:
- Supervised, alcohol-free activities and spaces, including teen centers where youth can gather after school; organized community service opportunities; and social and recreational events like movie nights, river floats, and dances
- Youth ambassadors that allow tweens and teens to share the benefits of being alcohol-free among peers, participate in civic projects, and gain leadership experience
- Youth-led, school-based clubs that encourage students to make healthy and positive choices
- Organized events during Red Ribbon Week to remind students to stay drug-free
- Camps and workshops to help teens gain confidence and understand why it’s important to remain substance-free, and facilitate authentic connections with new friends
- Onsite prevention programs for Idaho schools that lead students through exercises and discussions about substances, peer pressure, and more
- Educational presentations for students and parents about current drug trends and the risks of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, and vaping
- Prescription take-back days
Below are a few organizations doing this type of work around Idaho. Check them out and see if you could lend a hand, or if you think your child could benefit from involvement. Whether you volunteer for an event or join the board or leadership, you’ll be showing your child that you support a substance-free, healthy lifestyle for them and all their peers in your community.
IDAHO SUBSTANCE ABUSE PREVENTION COALITIONS
NORTH CENTRAL IDAHO
Clearwater Youth Alliance – Orofino
Youth Advocacy Coalition – Valley County
Photo credit: Meridian Anti-Drug Coalition
Tags: alcohol-free, Idaho, prevention, prevention coalition, underage drinking