In Idaho, prevention groups work to prevent substance use and misuse among youth on a community or statewide level.
These prevention groups often consist of a mix of parents, law enforcement, schools, hospitals, and other civic-minded individuals who work to create healthy communities and strong futures for local youth. Some coalitions in Idaho are nonprofit organizations; others are solely volunteer-driven.
While their missions may vary, Idaho prevention groups offer a range of activities that empower youth to live happy, substance-free lifestyles. Some examples include:
- Supervised, alcohol-free activities and spaces, including teen centers where youth can gather after school; organized community service opportunities; and social and recreational events like movie nights, river floats, and dances
- Youth ambassadors that allow tweens and teens to share the benefits of being alcohol-free among peers, participate in civic projects, and gain leadership experience
- Youth-led, school-based clubs that encourage students to make healthy and positive choices
- Organized events during Red Ribbon Week to remind students to stay drug-free
- Camps and workshops to help teens gain confidence and understand why it’s important to remain substance-free, and facilitate authentic connections with new friends
- Onsite prevention programs for Idaho schools that lead students through exercises and discussions about substances, peer pressure, and more
- Educational presentations for students and parents about current drug trends and the risks of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, and vaping
- Prescription take-back days
Below are a few organizations doing this type of work around Idaho. Check them out and see if you could lend a hand, or if you think your child could benefit from involvement. Whether you volunteer for an event or join the board or leadership, you’ll be showing your child that you support a substance-free, healthy lifestyle for them and all their peers in your community.
Idaho Substance Abuse Prevention Coalitions
NORTH CENTRAL IDAHO
Clearwater Youth Alliance – Orofino
Youth Advocacy Coalition – Valley County
Photo credit: Meridian Anti-Drug Coalition